Codnor is a busy village of about 1700 dwellings on a hilltop between Heanor and Ripley and is centred around the market place.
It has been a major crossroads for over a thousand years. The village itself probably dates back to Saxon times and it is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1087 as Cotenovre. A former mining village, it is full of character and historical interest, and has a castle set slightly away from the main village.
The castle was built by Sir Henry de Grey, who was granted the manor of Codnor from Richard the Lionheart, and it lies largely ruined, but is well worth a visit.
Download and print this 6 mile Codnor Walk
Codnor is a thriving community, with strong communications and transport links to Derby and Nottingham, it is only 7 miles from junction 26 of the M1, and 2 miles from the A38 at Ripley A small industrial estate provides some employment, but most people work in the nearby towns.
The Parish Council has erected a pit tub at the entrance to the Codnor Business Park on Alfreton Road.This is sited very close to the last mine in Codnor which was at High Holborn.
In June 2013, the new Sports and Community building at Goose Lane was completed.
The building was part funded by Codnor Parish Council, who invested £150,000 in the project which is managed by the Codnor Sports Charitable Trust, and provides changing rooms for football and cricket teams along with a fantastic community/function room with kitchen and servery. (visit http://www.codnorsportsct.co.uk/) It was officially opened by Mr Steve McLaren (Derby County FC)
In 2011 a half mining wheel, which came from Shipley Park was erected at the junction of Heanor Road and Nottingham Road in memory of all the mining and miners who worked and lived in Codnor.